Many organisations are using team simulation exercises to develop the skills and capabilities of their employees and teams. Team simulation training often comprises employees from different departments who come together to work as a team in an unfamiliar challenging, time-limited, and fun environment. The newly formed teams must work together to communicate, make decisions, solve problems, negotiate, experiment, and design new ways of working together.
“A simulation requires action and decisions. Students are right in the mix, having an experience as opposed to reading about an experience.” Professor Amy Edmondson, Harvard Business School
The overarching focus of team simulations is to create a shared experience whereby team members will develop new insights and challenge their idea of teamwork and ‘teaming’. Amy Edmondson in her book ‘The Fearless Organization’ refers to ‘Teaming’ as ‘teamwork on the fly’…. She states that “In a growing number of organizations, the constantly shifting nature of work means that many teams disband almost as soon as they’ve formed. You could be working on one team right now, but in a few days, or even a few minutes, you may be on another team”.
There are four basic strategies for improving team interpersonal skills, facilitation, coaching, and team simulation. Some are discussion-based and others are experience-based. Team simulation is an experience-based intervention that is guaranteed to improve team communication and responsiveness.
How can team simulations help? Team simulations can support the development of your team in several ways including:
- Pressing the reset button – helping teams to focus on improved team performance
- Helping teams to identify what’s going well and what could be improved
- Critically analyzing new ways of doing things and new ways of communicating
- Creating buy-in for new ideas and innovation
- Identifying unhelpful habits and learning to deal with resistance
- Managing conflict and embracing change
Team simulations are highly energetic, interactive, fun, and challenging. Team simulations are delivered online to suit your employee’s schedules and are typically co-facilitated by highly experienced instructors.
Our Team Simulations help to create innovative, dynamic, and very effective developmental team training events that focus on team knowledge, skills, and attitudes.
In participating in simulation activities your team will:
- Explore the evolving concept of Teamwork in a Virtual World
- Test team collaboration and ‘Teaming’ skills
- Use logical problem-solving & analysis to collaborate with team members
- Face challenges – Critical Thinking is key & Time is of the essence
- Answer the question: Has their team got what it takes to collaborate effectively in a challenging and unfamiliar situation?
Most of our team simulations are designed & customised to meet the needs of our clients and the organisational behaviours they wish to address. Here are some examples:
- Zoombie Escape Rooms – team bonding and connectivity.
- Mystery Dinner Party – diversity and inclusion.
- The Summit – meeting skills, negotiation, delegation, and influence.
- The Which List – decision making and critical thinking.
- Escape To Hotel Grande – customer service, problem-solving, and conflict management.
Contact us directly to learn more about our full range of Team Simulation Workshops www.newlinkstraining.com