QQI – 5N2019 Bar/Beverage Service
Our Bar service training programme is designed to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and competencies needed to work in a busy bar of any size. This course will be delivered on-site in a bar/hotel so that course participants can gain hands-on experience with industry experts in a real-life setting. In taking this course, participants will gain practical experience of the day to day tasks required of bar personnel. Participants will explore a broad range of topics through practical activities and ongoing skills assessment which will prepare them for their work as a barperson.
This course is an excellent choice for those who wish to enter into the beverage and bar service industry or for those who wish to upskill in their current role.
The following topics are studied:
- Responsible service of alcohol (legislation)
- Alcohol beverage service
- Managing the bar environment
- Introduction to Spirits, liquors and hot alcoholic beverages.
- Coffee Basics
- Wine Appreciation
- Non-alcoholic beverages and service
- Payment handling procedures
- Stock control
- Health and safety
On completion of this course, participants will:
- Recognize the obligations of the bar person with regards to the responsible service of alcohol.
- Develop a working knowledge of the service of spirits, wines, liquors and hot alcoholic beverages including the use of correct glassware.
- Demonstrate correct procedures for service of a broad variety of beverages including beers, spirits, wines and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Explore the significance of coffee in the beverage service industry.
- Demonstrate the correct use of coffee machines/barista.
- Reference health and safety procedures when cleaning glass and utensils.
- Gain a working knowledge of payment handling procedures/forgery detection.
- Develop upselling techniques.
- Apply essential health and safety practices based on current legislation.
- Demonstrate correct use of payment systems using EPOS equipment.
- Complete stock control and stock rotation exercises.
- Practice safe manual handling techniques.
- Review current anti-discrimination legislation relating to equality and diversity.
- Practice safe disposal of hazardous materials.
This course can be taken in conjunction with the Restaurant Service (5N2080) and licensed trade law (5N0633) towards a Special Purpose Award (5S2103- combined) in Bar & Restaurant Services. Modules may be studied separately or together as one unit. By completing the three modules participants can work towards a Special Purpose Award in Bar and Restaurant Skills as listed above. The training modules are specifically designed to prepare participants for employment in the food and beverage sector.