Instructing Manual Handling Training
Course Code: 6N0233
Accreditation: QQI-accredited level 6 course
Manual Handling Training Information
The aim of this course is to provide participants with the tools, knowledge and practical experience to be able to effectively design and deliver manual handling instruction in the work place. The material covered in this in-depth course would appeal to someone starting out in training in this field, as well as an established trainer looking to deep their understanding and enhance their assertiveness in providing instruction.
This is an intensive 5 day course, running from 9am-4.30pm each day, which covers all relevant aspects of manual handling training in 6 sections, ranging from up-to-date legal requirements,
back care, risk assessment and manual handling principles, through to various tried and tested means of delivering manual handling training. This is a highly-interactive course which draws on participant behaviour both in class discussions and learning activities, as well as practical scenarios. This learning is complimented by instructional handout material, flipcharts and PowerPoint presentations delivered by our experienced teachers.
Upon completing this course, learners will gain both a comprehensive understanding of the manual handling of loads as well as the confidence necessary to train others in this field using the most effective communication practices, allowing for increased organisational clarity and professionalism in the workplace.
Our Instructing Manual Handling (6N0233) course is a QQI Accredited level 6 course available in Waterford,
Learning is divided into the following six sections:
1. Legislative Requirements and Health Benefit
2. Anatomy and Back Care
3. Ergonomic Principles and Risk Assessment
4. Manual Handling Principles and Techniques
5. Planning and Design of Manual Handling Training Programmes
6. Delivery of Manual Handling Training
Assessment takes the form of:
Assignment (20%)Skills Demonstration (60%)Theory-based Examination (20%)
The assignment is undertaken by learners in response to a brief with specific guidelines with a deadline attached. The skills demonstration will require the learner to complete a task or series of tasks that demonstrate a range of skills. The examination will test the learner’s grasp of theory (from sections 1-3) in the form of 20 short-answer questions.
Successful participants will be awarded a QQI Level 6 Manual Handling Instruction Certificate.
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Understand and explain current legislative requirements of their role in the workplace (including load regulations and principles of prevention)
- Assess the health and organisational benefits of a well-planned, coherent approach to the management of manual handling (such as the development of a manual handling
policy, staff consultation, the implementation of appropriate controls)
- Fully understand and apply knowledge of anatomy and back care related to manual handling work, including: awareness of the components of the spinal column, risk factors
for back injuries, proper back posture both at work and at home)
- Become familiar with the concept of ergonomics and apply this to the workplace
- Comprehend and perform risk assessments for manual handling through the use of proven case studies/scenarios
- Effectively explain and oversee a comprehensive approach to avoiding and reducing injuries (including a critical analysis of a range of manual handling equipment)
- Apply the main principles of manual handling to a range of related tasks, with an emphasis on evaluating whether a particular load can be handled safely
- Confidently carry out a range of handling techniques, such as lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, supporting or putting down a load by one or more persons
- Develop their own manual handling training programmes to include lesson plans with clear objectives, effective supporting material to aid the process of training, as well as an
adaptable approach for keeping on top of developments in the field
- Establish resources in the workplace necessary for planning and supporting the delivery of effective manual handling training programmes
- Grasp and be able to apply adult learning principles to enhance one’s communication skills in delivering training
- Deliver effective manual handling training programmes using a range of tools and techniques including managing group dynamics and ways of motivating learners in a
Course Dates –
Please check our schedule for course dates.
We deliver accredited training programmes nationwide, please contact us to enquire about course delivery in your area.
Dates & Locations